Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I finally have a Chia Pet!

Do you remember those funny little Chia Pets? Were they from the sixties, maybe? I can remember they were different than anything I had ever seen. I didn't have one, didn't even want one at the time, but I was intriqued by their uniqueness.

That brings me to the present. My husband and I can laugh at anything, and often do. I wouldn't dare recount all the bizarre things we find funny. Someone would want to commit us! However, I will share a little laugh we had last night because the image just keeps giving me a chuckle. So, humor me, okay?!

Bill has always had nice hair, but lately, his previously dark soft locks have been evolving into something akin to a steel wool pad - increasingly grey and wirey . Gel helps to camaflouge a bit, but when that dries or gets "slept" away, we're looking at a brand new "animal". A porcupine comes to mind.

Last night Bill looked in the mirror, then said to me, "I need a haircut.... whatta ya think?" I glanced over at him and flinched a bit at the sight I beheld. Grinning at my reaction, he said, "My hair doesn't grow long anymore. It just grows out!" Putting his hands out to the sides of his head to emphasize the obvious, I suddenly had a flashback to the sixties. I laughingly exclaimed, "You've become a Chia Pet!"

I guess you had to be there, maybe, but we're quiet easy to entertain. I don't care what you say, but to us, it was funny! I still chuckled throughout the day, today, as I remembered the sight of my husband; my very own Chia Pet. I also started to think about an analogy that could be extracted from my husband becoming a Chia Pet.

Here's my analogy. Bill used to be someone that did not yield any growth. He was like a Chia Pet, still in the box. Without care and cultivation, he was not ready to morph into what he was intended to become. But now he's something quiet different. He was "bought" by a Saviour that transformed him as he showered him with his love, grace and truth. As he continues to grow, I am grateful that I finally have a Chia Pet. I'll say, some things are worth waiting for!

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what can i say? i am not surprised by the things you find funny. what i didn't expect is for you to link your chia pet with a perfectly fitting SCRIPTURE! you are like Beth Moore, but with a strange little twist! i like you better! love Jayma

Cathy said...

How often to you water your "chia pet"? Just kidding.
Love your stories and how God wires you with such creativity.
Blessings on your day~love ya, Cathy

Heidi said...

Ha ha...the tune from the commercial is prancing through my head..."chi-chi-chi-chia!" Funny how those commercials only come out during the Christmas holiday. I justmight go out and buy one for my husband in your honor! He might not see the humor, but I certainly will throw out a laugh each morning I trim it! Thanks.