Monday, May 11, 2009

Great Weekend in KY

We had an action-packed FUN weekend in KY, as we celebrated our daughter’s graduation and Mother’s Day. Kristen is now certified to teach children in K – 5th grade and will be pounding the elementary school pavements as early as this week. Any school or class that gets her as a teacher will be blessed. I read some of the letters from students she was assigned to as a student teacher and they are really funny! One that really made me laugh was the one where the student said she was the only teacher that had ever “rapped” for them. I love her creativity and bet the students remember what she taught them in that “rap” session. We’re just praying for the right job for her and trusting that God will make the necessary arrangements for that to happen. I do want to thank so many of you for celebrating Kristen and her graduation. We love each of you and are so grateful for the love and support we are blessed to have from family and friends.

I also got to see my mom for a little bit on Sunday for Mother’s Day and she was having a good day. She looked so pretty and had on jewelry she had won at bingo…so cute! Of course she loved seeing us, as we loved seeing her. There’s no better medicine than love and family….a good dose of joy does a heart good. My mom has always devoted her life to her family and I am grateful for her love and devotion. She was also a wonderful cook, so I’m especially grateful for the fried chicken and the dumplings that she always made sure I had enough of….yes, I know the meaning of “southern comfort”. Bill and Kristen and I ended up at P.F. Changs for dinner and that was awesome as well. They’re sort of fun to hang out with.

Some of our friends made me laugh with their discussions at the graduation reception. We have some pretty fun friends that never fail to provide amusement. Several of them had their blackberries out and one was showing the others how to change the font to what she termed the “glaucoma” font – a very large print for those of us that have some challenges with our eyesight as we “mature”. I tried to take lots of pictures to post on Facebook. Kristen was rolling her eyes and calling me the “crazy picture taking lady”. I’ll have to admit, she was right on target! I’m not that savvy with a camera, but I’ve developed a new addiction for photos and will soon be a “picture posting maniac”. They may not be that good, but I’m hoping it will get better. I was using Kristen’s camera this weekend and had no clue what I was doing. A new digital camera is on my wish list and I’ll be having some fun with that in the future, I hope.

One last thing for this post, as we’re driving back to Rockford today and I’m using the time to write once again….we saw the most amazing testimony/message at Southland Christian Church, in Lexington, this weekend. Nick Vujicic is a young man that many of us have seen on YouTube. He was born with no arms or legs…but he is definitely the hands and feet of Jesus. He travels the world speaking about Jesus and introducing the love of Jesus to thousands of people. His physical limitations would be enough to make most people think they had nothing to offer and would cause many to resort to being limited psychologically and spiritually, as well. But not Nick! He is so full of God’s love and joy and THAT is very evident as he speaks to people. He has allowed God to use his limitations to bring thousands to salvation and seems quiet happy to do so – what a miracle! I love the way he speaks boldly and cuts out the fluff - His “language” is God’s language. When you’ve got no arms and legs, I guess you sort of circumvent what others might think about what you say or how you say it. All I can say is that it’s very effective and profound. Much of what Nick shared made an impact on me, but there were a couple of things I took away and hope to remember daily. These may or may not be original to him, but they’re good reminders, so I want to share them:

FAITH – Full Assurance In The Heart!
(I LOVE being reminded that this is what my faith is!!!)

Another reference he made was to the three things he asks God daily to teach him:
Teach me to Pray, Teach me to Thank You, and Teach me to Trust You!
I want to incorporate those requests into my daily communion with God also. It can only help me to know Him more.

Praise God for Nick’s life and testimony. I’m sure many will come to know Christ through his circumstances and story and I greatly admire his courage and conviction. You can watch him yourself and be blessed by God’s work in and through his life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZYT50Bow4&NR=1

No comments: