Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Staying in the RIGHT lane

I saw in the news today where New Yorkers have the worst reputation for being impatient drivers...DUH..I think we all knew that one! I will say one thing for New Yorkers...they've learned how to get where they're going much faster than drivers I've seen in other cities. Actually, I think they get a bad rap, because I love the way they do a few things. Unlike my more southern friends, New Yorkers don't start lining up single file when they see a sign that says something like "5 miles - right lane closed". No, New Yorkers will take all available space in both lanes and allow one another to "take turns" at the merging point. But watch out if you are not quick enough to take your turn...you will get a horn or two, and maybe a few other "pleasantries" thrown your way. Please take it from someone who has lived both in NY and further south and west....sitting in traffic is no picnic but the New Yorkers are much more effective in getting through it.

Speaking of traffic and drivers, I find myself in "grace challenges" when presented with "LEFT" lane drivers. I'm sorry if you are one, but its time someone mentioned the obvious....It's annoying! See, I told you it was a grace challenge for me. I have to constantly ask God's forgiveness for my impatience in this area. I mean, what part of "stay in the right lane unless passing" did people not understand when reading their driver's learning manual? I think it's pretty much an across-the-board concept in all driver's manuals, yet many individuals just naturally gravitate to the left lane and stay there....Help me Lord! Living in NY for so many years really rubbed off on me -and I'm sure I'm a much better driver for it!

But if you think about it, staying in the RIGHT lane just makes sense. That goes for all areas of life - not just traffic. You can operate safely in the right lane and let those moving at a faster pace go around you if they need to. However, if you're poking along in the left lane, you are, no doubt, in the wrong lane and you're operating out of your sweet spot. In all humility, I say, "Get back in the right lane"!

God created us all with special gifts and purposes. We aren't operating at maximum capacity if we are not in the right lane doing the right thing. We could even be impeding others' progress. In the right lane we can operate in our giftedness until something slows us down. Then, when there is an opening, we can move into the left lane and sail smoothly past our roadblocks. That's the way it's supposed to work. We aren't always supposed to stay in the fast lane.

Case in point - I love music. I love to sing. I love to worship my Lord in song. Yet, I don't want to sit in the left lane with my singing ability and I'm certainly not passing anyone. You see, I'm not a great singer...just mediocre...so I know I need to stay in my lane. I certainly don't need to try to get in the left lane with the big dogs on that one. That's okay; I'll just stay on the right and toot my horn when I need to:-)

No comments: