Saturday, November 3, 2012

Jesus Calling

I am a raving fan of Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling" Devotions.  I often can't get enough of the sweet richness just one day's devotional message brings to me, so I often read forward for several days and then read them over as each day occurs.  As a matter of fact, if you are looking for great gift ideas for Christmas, consider stocking up on these little gems.  They make thoughtful and valuable gifts that pack the weight of daily blessings to fortunate recipients of such a gift.  Take my word for it....I'm right on this:-)

I have given away at least five of my own copies of "Jesus Calling" in recent months because the Holy Spirit prompted me to do so on the spot.  Why?  I just wanted to bless someone with what I feel is a kiss from God through the pages of this devotional.  The forward to this devotional tells of how the author writes in a style that embodies the Holy Spirit speaking directly to her (or us as we read it).  She writes in a conversational style that speaks God's Spirit to our spirit and references bible verses that prompt the foundation of the devotions.  I'm 100% sure you will love it for yourself and everyone that receives this gift will love it as well.  You can thank me later...lol.

This brings me to my reason for speaking of this today.  I read forward to the devotion for November 6th.  This is a presidential election year and I found it interesting to see the devotion for this day.  It encouraged my spirit and reads as follows:

"Seek to please ME above all else.  As you journey through today, there will be many choice-points along your way.  Most of the day's decisions will be small ones you have to make quickly.  You need some rule of thumb to help you make good choices.  Many people's decisions are a combination of their habitual responses and their desire to please themselves or others.  This is not My way for you.  Strive to please Me in everything, not just in major decisions.  This is possible only to the extent that you are living in close communion with Me.  When My Presence is your deepest delight, you know almost instinctively what will please Me.  A quick glance at Me is all you need to make the right choice.  Delight yourself in Me more and more; seek My pleasure in all you do."  This passage is found in "Jesus Calling" and is based on scriptures from JOHN 8:29; HEBREWS 11:5-6; PSALM 37:4

Life is full of choices.  God gives us the freedom to make our own choices.  He leads us in paths of righteousness, but we always have to make the choice to go our own way or to follow His ways.  I'm so grateful He gives us a road map through His Word and a personal guide in the person of His Holy Spirit.  Jesus is calling.  I so want to hear Him and answer appropriately.






No comments: