Saturday, January 3, 2015

Time to Obey God and Leave the Results to Him

I'm only a few days into a New Year, 2015, and I'm thinking about all those things we think about at such a time. I'm thinking about starting over and doing better on some things at which I have not done so well. I'm thinking about becoming more healthy, both physically and spiritually. I'm thinking about a new start. I know I'm not in this mode of thinking on my own. At this time of year, most of us at least think about such things. Fewer actually follow up on our thoughts with appropriate actions. Such is the cycle of insanity wherein many of us find ourselves.

Romans 7:15-24 says, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work. When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God' law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am. Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

I think I could have very well pinned the verses above, instead of the Apostle Paul, for I have the very same struggles within my own mind and body. Can I get a witness?! Yes, we all have such struggles. But then we read on into Romans 8 and get a glimpse of what the Spirit of God living within a Christ follower can accomplish through that earthly vessel. Romans 8:10-11 says, "But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit, who lives in you."

Hallelujah! My body and mind may not be willing and/or able to do what is good and right, but the Spirit of Christ living within me is more than able to help me stay the course and finish the race He has set before me. I would do well to keep this in mind as I attempt to turn away from that which brings me down or does me harm and to embrace what it takes to be my best for God's glory in 2015. According to scripture, He is ready to help. I just have to give Him the reigns and stop trying to take them back.

So what are some things I want to allow God to do in and through me in 2015? I want Him to massage my heart to beat for Him and the things that are important to Him. I want to obey God and leave the results to Him. I heard Charles Stanley say that long ago. I cannot think of a more effective game plan for my life. I'm camping out in Romans 8 and living by the Spirit. I'll leave the results to Him!

No comments: