Monday, April 11, 2016

My Fight Song

I had a mammogram today. It's odd how you don't realize you are worried, but you wait a bit tensely for results. I got a good report, so I breathed a deep sigh of relief and a prayer of praise. I've now been a survivor of breast cancer for 6+ years and I'm grateful for each good report. It reminds me where my help comes from. My blessing of being cancer free had nothing to do with my ability to kick cancer's butt. I am convinced that God gave me the grace to survive. I'm even more confident that any healing I have experienced has come from His hand and not my ability to do it on my own.

I guess that is why I always pause when I hear people say, "I/they kicked cancer's butt!".  I get where they are coming from. They are excited that they or a loved one has been victorious in the fight against cancer. They are just celebrating that. I cannot blame someone for celebrating the fact that they get to live another day and another season where cancer did not win, where they have survived the diagnosis. I understand and I really do love that song that goes something like, "This is my fight song, take back my life song", because it makes one feel encouraged and empowered. 

I just don't happen to feel comfortable saying that I did anything in my own power. I didn't kick cancer's butt; my God did! I prayed. I believed God and He did it all. To say He saved me has layers and layers of truth and dimensions to it. He has saved me in so many ways. He saved my soul. He saved my marriage. He saved my life. Yes, I know Whom has saved me. I know where my help comes from: "My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth". Psalm 121:2

I do have a fight song. It's a praise song. It is one that goes like this, "Your praise will ever be on my lips"!

"My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to You— I whom You have delivered." 
Psalm 72:23

"I will extol the Lord at all times; His praise will always be on my lips." Psalm 34:1

I am grateful today. My God continues to fight my battles and His praise will ever be on my lips!

No comments: