Thursday, November 10, 2011

How's your Weather?

It's not often that I use my windshield wipers and wear sunglasses at the same time.  Today was one of those rare occasions.  I felt like the universe was ever so slightly tilted beyond normal today.  Within minutes I experienced rain, snow, sleet, and possibly hail (okay, it was pretty small, but I'm the one qualifying here) in Chicago-land today.  Whimsically, I wondered if I were caught in the middle of a public relations infomercial for the postal service.  If not...well, they missed a great opportunity!  It was a bit un-nerving, yet oddly tantalizing at the same time.  The clouds were dark, then the sun was bright.  It was like the weather just didn't know what to do.  I was mesmerized.  How odd.  How strange.  How wonderful (well, all but the snow part).

Today's weather reminds me of myself.  These days, my body climate can go from what seems like 98 to 120 degrees in mere seconds.  My husband might also say that I can go from cloudy to sunny, or vice-versa, just as quickly - but who's asking him!  That's a little bit funny, but in the "heat" of the moment...not so much!  I'm convinced that hormones have little red horns and probably pack a pitchfork, but that's just my opinion. 

What I really thought about today, though, in all the weather confusion, is how our spiritual climate can fluctuate just as bizarrely.  On a daily, hourly, sometimes minute-by-minute basis, we can go from sunny to cloudy and our attitudes can become a little off-kilter.  Life is like the weather (and hormones).  It's unpredictable.  It can produce crazy storms.  On the other hand, our God is our source of light.  We may not always see Him, but that doesn't mean He isn't always there.  The clouds may be all we can see momentarily, but the sun will shine again.  If we can just keep our perspective, and focus, the SON will bring us through our seasons and our storms.  Keep your sunglasses handy.  He's about to shine! 



No comments: