Wednesday, January 2, 2013

I Surrender, God....2013 Mantra

It's a brand-spanking New Year - 2013!  Woohoo!!!  We all like to think that we will get rid of bad habits and start new and good habits at the beginning of each new year. This year is no exception. I see people postings on social media about their resolutions to "do" things better or differently, or to be better people because of some "change" they are going to put into practice in their lives. I hope they achieve their goals. But let's face it, some will do great and some...not so great...at keeping their resolutions. A person's willpower can take them a long way, but can it keep them there? It depends on "who" holds the power to help them change. Are they doing it on their own, or are they surrendering what they cannot do on their own to God and asking Him to help them? It makes all the difference in the world.

A friend of mine posted something yesterday, asking people their mantra for 2013. She noted that, "A mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of creating transformation". Her question really made me think. It occurred to me that transformation can only come through the belief and application to one's life of the truth and power of God and His word. Our action plan would be to "renew our minds", as God's Word instructs us to do. You may ask how one would do that. I'm so glad you asked! In Romans 12:2 it says, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will". Now, does that verse pack a punch, or what?! It seems that all of us would like to know what God's good, pleasing and perfect will is for our lives. It also appears that He is telling us how we can do that. He is not going to renew our minds for us - but, as we start the process of renewal, He is faithful to complete the transformation. We just have to follow Him and His way....not our own.

A good question would be, "How do I renew my mind?". That's how I settled on the "mantra" that I would adopt for 2013. My mantra will be, "I surrender, God!". That's it. I've learned that, through God's power and truth, I can do what He instructs to renew my mind. I have to, or I will never know Him and His character well enough to allow Him to transform my mind. I have to read His Word. I have to talk to Him in prayers of praise and petition. I have to allow His voice, both through His Word and His Spirit, to speak to me and show me His good, pleasing and perfect will. But it occurred to me that it takes one thing for me to set this renewal action plan in place - it takes my surrender to Him and to everything He wants to teach me.
I can be transformed in 2013, by the renewing of my mind in God's Word and power. He will transform if I renew. I will be renewed if I surrender to Him. It's simple really, yet hard for me, as a human, to carry out in every day life. That's why this will be my mantra: "I surrender, God!". If I keep telling myself and God this, I know my life will change for the better. How do I know this? Well, I've learned that life is always better when I surrender to God and He is in control. That's a given:-)

No comments: