Thursday, March 6, 2008

Red light - Green light!

What are your favorite colors? Mine are reds and greens. It's funny how those colors are so symbolic of things like "stop" and "go". As a matter of fact, sometimes I can lose myself in thought and begin to feel like life is one big traffic light. Sometimes I stop; sometimes I go. But I don't like slowing down for yellow! You want to go, but you're not sure where. You try to stop, but it feels like you're in a rut, so you want to go again. Yellow is sort of an in-between place to be. It feels like limbo. But just like limbo, if you're not careful, you can bend over backwards and land flat on your behind (and go pretty low getting there!). Like I said before....symbolic!



Do you remember that old game many of us played as kids, red light - green light? Since I was raised in Kentucky, I realize this could have been a regional thing and not entirely universal, so I will explain. One person was the leader; in "control". He was on one side of the yard and all the other players were on the other side of the yard. The goal was to see who could advance to reach the postion of control first. The leader would yell "green light" and everyone would rush forward. He would yell "red light" and everyone would stop in their tracks.

It's funny how we all still race for control isn't it? Sometimes it feels like we're all in the yard again and we're in one big game of red light - green light. As much as I'd like to be in control, I'm afraid it would be a short stint and I might just fall on my behind. Oh yeah, already been there and done that! I'm not anxious to go again. I think I'll just enjoy being in the game and let the Leader stay in control. It seems to work better that way.

No comments: