Monday, March 17, 2008

Who will roll the stone away?

Easter is fast approaching. It's funny what comes to mind when we think of Easter. There's nothing wrong with bunnies, baby chicks, eggs and (especially) chocolate. I'm all for having a fun time with the kids at Easter. Some of my favorite memories from childhood are of hunting easter eggs with my cousins in my grandmother's yard. But my childhood idea of Easter can't compare to the joy I have now in knowing that my eternity is secure because of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. I love Easter now because I love my Lord. I know the extravagant kind of love it took for Jesus to willingly surrender to death on a cross in order to pay for my sins. He did that for me! WOW!

The gospel of Mark, chapter 16 verse 3, recounts how two women were going to the tomb where their beloved Jesus had been buried after his crucifixion. Their love and devotion for Jesus motivated them to take spices and perfumes to annoint his body. Verse 3 captures their dialogue:

Mark 16:3 - and they asked each other, Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?"

That leaves a mark in my spirit. A mark that looks like a word picture of faith and intense love. My bible footnotes tell me that rolling the stone into place was not that difficult, but that taking it away from the grooved bedrock into which it had become lodged was no small feat; especially for two women (physically) alone in their endeavor to take away the barrier that separated them from their Saviour. Think about that for a second. What faith it must have taken to set out on such a mission, knowing that the tomb was sealed; not letting it deter their determination to honor their Lord. They may have appeared to be alone, but God was with them. Just as He is always with us who have put our trust in Jesus as our Saviour.

Mark 16:4 goes on to say, But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away.

I want to have that kind of faith. To love Jesus with such intensity that I don't let anything come between Him and me, to know that He can roll the stones away and to know that no stone can ever separate me from His love. I'm all for that!



Happy Easter!



Oh - note this interesting bit I just discovered about why Easter is so early this year. Call me a nerd, but I just like information. I may not remember it all, but I get a kick out of "stuff" that enlightens me.
http://www.leadingsmart.com/leadingsmart/2008/03/why-is-easter-s.html

3 comments:

Sassy Momma said...

WOW! never saw it that way. Thanks for the perspective.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolynn:

Thanks for the story! It makes you think and strive for that kind of faith. I too have always enjoyed Easter, especially my mom's famous "orange rolls". She would ONLY make them on Easter and they were one of the best things she ever made. After I had my own family, I started the tradition of making orange rolls just because! My kids love them.

This Easter more than any other in my life I have a new appreciation for God, Christ and the sacrifice. I think it's because this year I have a personal relationship that never existed before. Christ saved my life, my marriage, my family. He truly knows my heart and if I can just remove the rock on a daily basis, my life is so much better!

Andreas just gave his Daddy and I one of the best blessings parents could ever hear. Tonight, he told us he wanted to be baptized and give his life to God and ask Jesus into his heart and follow him. Wow, the blessings just keep rolling in.

Love and Miss you guys! Jeanice

Carolynn said...

We're so excited about Andreas' decision to accept Jesus. How special anytime, but especially at Easter time when we're so vividly reminded of what Christ did for us. Andreas' response to that makes us rejoice with you!
Bill says he still has to become a Yankee fan because Red Sox fans cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven. I think that's a false teaching....ya think?! Love, C.