Wednesday, February 27, 2008

If it walks like a duck....

I have a new theory. Too much snow and subsequent shoveling can speed up the aging process. Bill's back and muscles are protesting the amount of snow we've had here in Rockford this winter. Shoveling our driveway has given him workouts that could rival that of olympic athletes in training. As a matter of fact, look for "shoveling" to be a potential olympic sport next time around.....hey, if curling can make it, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility.
I'm so grateful that our neighborhood gets ploughed quickly and effectively when it snows here. What drives me crazy is the two foot pile of snow that is deposited at the end of our driveway as the street is cleared. I know it has to go somewhere so we can drive on the streets, but shoveling out of the "fort" is a chore. Just ask Bill! I have helped a handful of times, but I wouldn't want to get in the way of olympic training.
Bill's recent "gait" has developed into something I can only describe as that of a waddling duck. Somehow, walking like that seems to alleviate some of the strain on his back; or so he says. Today we saw one of those commercials about the electronic wheelchairs as he was trying to stand up from the couch. He commented jokingly that he needed a scooter. I chuckled, but quickly said, "Don't even joke about that"! Then I watched him waddle through the house.
I suppose we just have to be careful not to go out during duck hunting season. Walking like that, he's fair game!

No comments: