Friday, February 15, 2008

Sometimes there are just no parking spaces!

I pray for everything! Sometimes, even trivial things like parking spaces. I figure if God doesn't grant it to me, I'm no worse for the asking. But, if He does, its certainly a blessing to me. Being a pastor's wife has landed me and my husband in a few places. Right now, we're parked in Rockford, IL. It's a spot we prayed for and God opened it up for us.



I'm still trying to find a job here and it doesn't seem as if employers are standing in line to hire me. It's a humbling experience. I did start a new job last week, but it wasn't quiet what I expected. I was supposed to go into Chicago the first three days for orientation. My first day was a 14 hour day, with a six hour commute! Yikes! That, along with the news that I would not be receiving equipment for my home office, was a bit discouraging, but I was determined to follow through with my commitment. I asked God to shut the door if this wasn't the right job for me, but, even though I felt no real peace about the job, I still didn't see the door being shut. I prayed all the way to the train station the next morning for God to show me what I should do. After 45 minutes of trying to find a parking spot, I called to let them know I would be late. It occurs to me now that, not once, did I pray for a spot to open up! All of a sudden I could see that I needed to swallow my pride and let my new employer know that this job just wasn't going to work out for me. Thank God for the Beth Moore bible study I'm doing at church right now. I'm learning about all kinds of strongholds in my life like pride. There would have been a day, not even long ago, when I would have just sucked it up and gone back into that office because I was worried about what they would say or think of me if I didn't return. However, on this day, there just weren't any parking spaces and I decided life was too short to drive around any longer looking for one! That was the shortest job I've ever had, but it taught me that my Provider will open up my spot in His timing.

On the way home, I felt liberated for having made the decision not to return to that job. I had to chuckle because I was reminded of the cartoon where the person is waiting on the rooftop with floods rising around him and two or three different people come by in boats, planes and such to ask it he needs help. Each time he declines the help and says, "No, God will rescue me!" I was that person, not recognizing that God was trying to get my attention regarding this job in a variety of ways, but I just didn't see the help He was offering me. I mean the weather this particular week was not just your typical Mid-West bitter, but ridiculously hazardous. Thus, part of the reason my commute was so long that first day. The second day's weather was equally treachorous. A smarter, less prideful person might have figured this out a lot quicker than I did.

I really needed a Starbucks when I got back to Rockford, but comfort food seemed much more appropriate that day. I went to Cracker Barrel instead. There was a parking spot right up front!

4 comments:

Sassy Momma said...

I love this story!! I enjoyed it even more as I heard you tell it. It still makes me chuckle. Praying for your perfect parking spot.

Heather Summers said...

What a blessing this is! Thanks for the encouragement. I've been there recently myself discerning His perfect will for me and having to make a decision, not based on what others would think of me, but based on being in the center of His perfect will for my life. I'll be praying for you!
Heather Summers

Laura said...

I love this story too! I am so glad you started a blog. We miss you in Colorado.

catwoman said...

What a nice surprise starting Monday morning with you. Sounds like life as usual in the Rieser household. I would not expect anything other than an object lesson of Gods power to overcome in all situations. You are difinetly my Soul Sister in every sense of the word. We share not on the love of the Lord but Starbucks,Cracker Barrel & Beth Moore. All is well in your old KY home. Miss you.
gbdbbkw