Saturday, February 16, 2008

In the midst of the storm

Last year, when we were living in Colorado, it was one of the worst winters the Denver/Boulder area had experienced in many years. When we arrived in the summer of 2006, we were told that, contrary to popular belief, the winters in the foothills were quiet pleasant. I was looking forward to 300 days of sunshine (something I took for granted and greatly long for here in Northern Illinois!) I thought it would be great to have snowfall one day and 60 degrees to melt it the next. Imagine my surprise when mid December brought a massive snowstorm of epic proportions that proved to be only the beginning. I think it was around mid-March by the time the snow was finally gone. Until then, we began to see it as a constant. People would often say to us, "It's not normally like this around here." Lucky us, to be there for a phenomenon! While I deeply love Colorado, I felt less than blessed to be in the midst of these storms.

Fast forward to Northern Illinois. Winter, 2007/2008. We knew it would be cold. Those dastardly lake effects can cut right through you. I've got a new appreciation for COLD and a renewed distaste for it! I think the first snow came around Thanksgiving. It seems to have snowed pretty consistently ever since. And I'm beginning to wonder how the below zero temperatures and windchills are actually measured. There's a reason below zero is termed "negative". It definitely is! Once again, people say, "It's not normally like this around here." It seems this winter is an especially harsh one. Imagine that!

I'm not egocentric enough to think that physical storms just follow me. However, I am ever consious that spiritual storms are either in the midst of raging or are collecting all the necessary characteristics to start a brewing process. It's not a matter of "if", but "when" they will hit! That sounds rather ominous, but its a reality we have to come to terms with. How else can we weather the storm, if we're not wearing the right gear? Again, I give kudos to my current Beth Moore study for reminding me how important it is to weatherize. God's word is so gracious to map out an effective emergency plan. It doesn't say we will always escape unscathed, but it does say we can have peace in the midst of the storm. That peace comes from prepartion, if you will. Batten down the hatches, store up God's accurate forecast in your heart and have an ongoing communication plan with the only one who can ultimately help us survive the storms of life.

Newsflash: There may not be 300 days of sunshine in Northern Illinois, maybe not even half that, but that's okay. I've seen the forecast and there are better days ahead!

2 comments:

Lalinda95 said...

He Carolynn.

Illinois????? Are you Pastoring a new church??? You are only 7 hrs from me now!!!LOL
How's Bill and Kristen??
I have been at Anheuser-Busch since 10/06. I am a Brewer. Yes, I make beer (and sample it too!!):) Scott is still with Wa-Mart. Holly is 8.5 3rd gd, Benton is 6 Kgtn, Logan is 4.5 Pre-K.

Can't wait to hear what's going on with you guys....

Love Ya,

Linda

Sassy Momma said...

I love having coffee with you!! I think you hit the nail on the head. With the right gear one can weather any storm they find themselves in. Part of that gear is having the right friends. Allow me to tell just how thankful I am for you & Bill. You were part of the gear that helped me weather my storm last year. We miss you guys!!