Monday, December 28, 2009

Deeply rooted peace

My surgery is scheduled for January 22nd at 11:30 am at OSF St. Anthony's in Rockford, IL. The surgeon recommended a lumpectomy in the biopsied area. I still have to meet with the radiologist next week (Jan 6th) and with the surgeon once more (Jan 7th) before the actual surgery. The lumpectomy option is probably the easiest physical surgery, but my hope is to have the surgery that would be most successful in reducing the probability of recurrence. If the lumpectomy is that option, I'm all for it. If more radical surgery is required, please pray that I will know that and that the doctors will know that, as well, and agree on the exact surgery that I am supposed to have. In it all, I pray for deeply rooted peace.

During last week's Christmas services, our pastor alluded to the strength of a tree being well and deeply "rooted". My take on what he said (and I paraphrase) was that being deeply rooted in the love and truth of God and His word better equips us for difficult things we may go through in life. If we're deeply rooted in Him, we are better equipped to handle the words, "You have cancer". This struck me as so true. I can do all things through Jesus Christ who gives me strength...Philippians 4:13. But the clincher was the other three examples he used; phrases like, "I don't love you anymore", "We're going to have to let you go" and "We're going to have to foreclose on your home". I realized that I have now heard all four of these statements at some point in my lifetime. I was reminded of where my strength came from in these last three statements. God got me through each incident and experience, as I surrendered them to Him, and drew me closer to Him in the process. And I know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose...Romans 8:28. Oh how I love Him and recognise His blessings in my life. So, yes, being deeply rooted in the love and truth of Jesus Christ is definitely my source of strength. So, while I may have heard the dreaded "You have cancer", I am better equipped to handle it because of my dependence upon God as my strength, as my Healer.

Bill often signs his books using Jeremiah 33:3, which says, "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know". As I call to Him, I am confident that He hears me and I eagerly await the wisdom for the great things He will tell me! I am also so grateful that you are joining me in calling to Him...THANK YOU!

My soul magnifies the Lord, for He has done great things for me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Carolynn. . .Phil 4:13 is my life scripture. I know that through our ever loving Lord Jesus Christ; you will make it through this. HE will continue to use you as a tool to help others. Your gracious kindness will be emulated to honor HIS Glory. Your strength in HIS name will lead others to HIM. I am blessed to know you! Once again, if there is ever anything that I can do for you, dont ever hesitate to ask. Much love to You, Billy and Kristen. In HIS name, Teresa

KyleLee said...

Carolynn, you are a mighty woman of God! Your strength is a beautiful testimony to the glory of God and my life is richer for knowing you! May God bless you with the "peace that passes understanding". You are and always will be in my prayers. And, of course, Bill and Kristen, too. I love you, sista! Kyle

Kim Almas (a.k.a. TwoBoysMom) said...

Thanks so much for the update, and for sharing your heart. We are praying! Love you!

Kim Almas (a.k.a. TwoBoysMom) said...

Just read this again, because it's been rolling around in my head :) It's such a good visual, and is so true! Thanks again for posting...
love ya and praying :)

Diane said...

Carolyn, I am praying for you in Lexington, KY. I thank God for your unfailing faith in Him. I thank him that you are rooted in Him. I pray that the root of cancer be uprooted by the healing power and blood of Jesus. I pray that God gives your doctors a fresh anointing of wisdom regardings your total care. I thank God that he perfects those things which concerns us (Psalm 138). I pray God's peace and strength for you, Bill and Kristen. God is awesome! God is a Healer! God is worthy to be praised! GOD IS!!! Love you,Diane

Patty Sumner said...

Just found your blog while looking at Bill's. Hope all goes well with what you will be facing. I am soooo proud of your faith in the Lord. Continue to trust in the power of his word for your strength and the power of the Holy Spirit to guide you during this time. I am praying for you! Remember this is yet another opportunity to give God the glory in your life. God bless you and Bill as you minister in his name!