Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Overcome by Goodness

The verse for 7/20 in from 2 Samuel 7:20, "What more can I say?  You know what I am really like, Sovereign Lord."  NLT

King David is overcome by the grace of God in the verse above.  In his prayer, he seemed to be in awe that the Lord had been so good to him, had blessed him so much, and had amazing plans for his future.  He was a part of God's plan and he was bewildered as to why.  In this verse, it seems like he is saying, "Okay Lord, it is me, David.  You know my shortcomings.  You are aware of my sins.  Why in the world would you choose to use someone like me?"

I'm no King David, but I can certainly relate to his wonder at the goodness of God.  I am often amazed that God has done so much for me.  As I begin to recount some of His blessings, it seems more like fantasy than fact.  People who have not experienced His character, as I have, may have trouble believing He has done such great things for me.  It's hard for me to believe as well.  In King David's case, it was hard for him to believe.  Yet, he could not deny God's goodness.  Neither can I.  God has blessed me.  He has been better to me than I could ever deserve.  He knows who I am.  I am selfish, and opinionated, and sometimes irrational.  I have sinned against Him.  I still do.  Like David, I am aware that He is glorified through the plan He has for my life.  I am humbled. 

The Message translation says the following about this passage, in verses 18-21, "King David went in, took his place before God, and prayed: "Who am I, my Master God, and what is my family, that you have brought me to this place in life? But that's nothing compared to what's coming, for you've also spoken of my family far into the future, given me a glimpse into tomorrow, my Master God! What can I possibly say in the face of all this? You know me, Master God, just as I am. You've done all this not because of who I am but because of who you are—out of your very heart!—but you've let me in on it.

Despite our inadequacies, God has a plan for our lives.  We may wonder why He extends such grace and attentitiveness toward us.  It matters not, because He will bless whom He chooses.  He knows our hearts and He knows where circumstances can bring Him glory when they are surrendered to Him and His purposes.  I am certainly grateful that He has a plan for my life.  I am an underserving recipient of grace.  Amazing!

No comments: