Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Prize

Today is 9/25 and the verse for the day is from 1 Corinthians 9:25, "Every athlete in training submits to strict discipline, in order to be crowned with a wreath that will not last; but we do it for one that will last forever."  GNT

Athletes know that discipline is required to be the best at their sport.  If they don't train, practice, condition and keep healthy, they will not be very good at their sport and they will have little or no chance of winning.  The ones that are really disciplined are focused on the prize; they really want to win and are willing to put in the time, effort, and sacrifice to do so.

The verse above references how an athlete is training for a prize that is only temporary.  On the others hand, as Christ followers, our discipline goes beyond earthly rewards; it is so much more meaningful than that.  It's important to run a good race, but when we cross the finish line, we will spend eternity with our Savior in Heaven.  No race is more worthy of running.  No discipline will yield such rewards.
I'm not much of an earthly runner, but I want to keep running this race toward heaven and I want to run it well.  When I cross the finish line I will embrace my prize.  His name is Jesus.

No comments: