Saturday, September 24, 2011

This Kind

Today is 9/24 and the verse for today is Mark 9:24, "The father instantly replied, "I do believe, but help me not to doubt!"  NLT

This verse comes in the middle of a story about a man who has brought his demon-possessed son for Jesus to heal.  He had asked Jesus' disciples to cast out the evil spirit, but they could not.  His plea to Jesus was, "Do something if you can."  Jesus response?  "What do you mean, "If I can?  Anything is possible if a person believes." 

Jesus had seemed a little perturbed when He said aloud, "You faithless people!  How long must I be with you until you believe?  How long must I put up with you?  Bring the boy to me."  I think His disappointment was in His disciples, those who had been with Him and could testify to His power and greatness.  Even though they had witnessed Him perform miracles, they still lacked the faith to use the power He gave them to do likewise.

Later in the story, Jesus answered his disciples' question as to why they could not cast out the evil spirit.  He told them that "this kind" could only be cast out by prayer.  Do you know what that tells me?  It tells me that when we doubt - and we all do from time to time - that we need never work in our own strength and power.  God may give us power to overcome evil, but He never expects us to use it on our own.  He expects us to bring it to Him and ask for His help.  Prayer is consulting with the King.  Prayer is listening to the King.  Prayer is accomplishing, through Him, what God has appointed us to do.  Prayer is powerful friends!  He will empower us and He will move in power, in answer to humble earnest prayers that are surrendered to His will.

Have you ever had any "this kinds" in your life?  If you're like me, you certainly have.  Can Jesus heal us, deliver us, protect us, provide for us, and bless us?  I have no doubt that He can.  And if you're not there yet, He can help you believe.  How can you get there?  You can take it to the Lord in prayer.  He is always willing to meet us there.

No comments: