Friday, May 6, 2011

Eat, Drink and Be Blessed!

The 5/6 verse for today is Matthew 5:6, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."  (NIV)

I think some things are no-brainers.  If we want and seek God's will for us, I believe we will be blessed.  I think Jesus is suggesting that in this verse.  Righteousness means to be in right standing with God.  If we seek to be in right standing with Him, I have to believe that He is faithful to show us what that looks like.  To hunger and thirst suggests that one yearns for something.  I believe, to hunger and thirst for righteousness, means we yearn to be in right standing with God; we cannot get enough of Him.  Only He can satisfy our need.

As believers in Christ, I also think our hunger and thirst for righteousness comes from responding to the Holy Spirit's guidance in our lives.  If we respond to Him, I believe He will direct us to learn more about His character and, as we do, we will get hungrier and thirstier for more knowledge of Him.  Blessings come as we read God's word, get to know Him through prayer, and obey Him.  We don't have to do these things; we get to.  When we realize this, I think we turn a corner and move from obligation to adoration.  When we truly know Jesus, we come to adore Him.  We just can't help ourselves.

So, how's your appetite today?  If you're hungry and thirsty, try the Bread of Life and the Living Water...you will be blessed.

No comments: