Monday, May 16, 2011

Pure Hearts = Powerful Prayers

The 5/16 verse of the day is from James 5:16, "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."  (NLT)

I believe in prayer.  I don't understand it completely, but I wholeheartedly believe God hears us when we pray and answers according to His wisdom, not ours.  I think our motives and the condition of our hearts is key to how, when and why God answers prayers.  I don't know everything, but I don't need to.  All I need to know is that, if my heart is pure and I put the outcome of my prayer in God's hands, He will do exceedingly more than I could ever hope or imagine.  I'd rather trust in His knowledge, power, and wisdom than my own.  I am weak, but He is strong.  I am selfish, but He is faithful.  I am only human, but He is Almighty God.

In my prayer devotional, Magnificent Prayer, I came across the following quote by A.C. Dixon, "When we depend upon organization, we get what organization can do; when we depend upon education, we get what education can do; when we depend upon man, we get what man can do; but when we depend upon prayer, we get what God can do!" 

We can depend upon this world and mankind, with all their technology and limited knowledge, but when this world ends, so will they.  I'd rather depend on a faithful, everlasting God who promises to hear me when I pray.  And I'd much rather talk with God and get the depth of His wisdom and power, regardless of how He answers my prayers.  Just being able to talk with Him and be in His sweet presence, is all I need to be a fan of prayer forever. 

No comments: