Monday, May 2, 2011

The Royal Wedding

The 5/2 verse for the day is 2 Cor 5:2, "We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long for the day when we will put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing."  (NLT)

Every day, in my job, I see frail broken bodies.  I pray for, and with, people and tell believers that those bodies will not burden them in heaven.  Our souls have a one-way ticket to heaven and our failing bodies would just be extra, unwanted baggage for that journey.  I don't really know what a heavenly body looks like, but I know the ONE who makes them.  I trust that He has a plan better than any I could come up with. 

I am curious about what my heavenly body will look like, though.  I've always been a little insecure about my earthly body.  I daresay I'm not alone in that.  Thousands of teenagers and adults are so obsessed with body image, that they will do unthinkable things just to try to look good.  The treatment of their bodies is subject to what they believe in their minds.  What they see in the mirror does not often reflect reality.  The truth is, they're in a world of hurt.  But that hurt and those bodies will never leave this world.

Our bodies get old, we get diseases, and we have accidents; they won't last forever.  But the good news is, they don't have to.  When we get to heaven, we won't need them.  We will be clothed in splendor and glory at the real Royal Wedding.  The King will be there and He will have all of our bodies tailor-made.  Beauty will likely be increased exponentially, on all levels, when we are in the presence of the Maker. Our focus will be on the Beautiful One, and I would like to think that our perception will be perfected so we know that is what truly matters.

In heaven, our souls will be in the home we've always longed for.  We'll finally be comfortable in our own skin.  When we look in the mirror, I'm hoping we will look a lot like Jesus.  I'm so excited that we all have an invitation to be fitted in new clothes for the Royal Wedding....I hope to see you there!

No comments: