Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jesus, take me away!

The 5/24 verse of the day is from Gen 5:24, "He enjoyed a close relationship with God throughout his life.  Then suddenly, he disappeared because God took him."  (NLT)

Enoch...he and Elijah are the only humans to never encounter death.  God just took them home.  Oh, how I wish I could be like them.  I've said that for years; not only because I don't want to encounter death, but because I want that kind of close relationship with God.  I know life will end for everyone, including me, someday, but I can't help but hope He just takes me instead.  I'm actually looking forward to being in heaven; it's how I get there that still causes me some angst.  I know that's ridiculous, because it is in God's hands, but I've talked to Him about it on many occasions.  Calgon is not the only thing I've wanted to take me away.  I've also prayed for Jesus to return in my lifetime and just take us away.

When my daughter was young, I used to talk to God about not wanting to be separated from my husband and daughter in death.  I would just be praying out loud in front of her and say something like, "God, could you please just take us all together?"  What I meant, was that I hoped Jesus would return in our lifetime, so we wouldn't have to encounter death and be separated from one another.  I guess I didn't make that quiet clear, though.  I learned, some time later, that she was afraid we might die when we went somewhere as a family.  Vacations were especially traumatic for her, I learned, because she was fearful that God would answer my prayer!

I hope my daughter has recovered from all the trauma I've caused her in life.  I really had good intentions!  I still want to see Jesus in the sky and break out in a victory shout.  Yet, I want as many people as possible to make that journey with me.  Just knowing more loved ones will join us, helps me be patient for His return.  Until then, I'm working on my quest to enjoy a close relationship with God throughout my life.  Something tells me that is what really matters.

No comments: