Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring Cleaning 101

It's March 19th and my 3/19 verse for the day is Acts 3:19, "Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away." (NLT) That's pretty strait forward. For this time of year, I like to call it Spring Cleaning 101.

What better time to get our house cleaned? Many of us have been hoarding up stuff all winter....some of us may even have to admit that it's actually been years or decades, instead of just a season or two, since we've had an overhaul. It's time to get the clutter out of our closets and change our attire...be "clothed" in Christ, if you will. I like the following version of this verse, "So change the way you think and act, and turn to God to have your sins removed." (GW)

Yes, God is willing to do our spring cleaning for free, but we can't just leave the house and expect to come back when he's done. The word "repent" is an action verb which means to feel regret or contrition. It's a prerequisite for the "so that" part of the verse above. The word "turn" is also and action verb. We are to regret that we are sinning and if we truly regret something, we should turn "away" from it, before we can turn "toward" God. It's pretty simple, but not always easy for us to get this right. We first have to want to.

There's nothing like a clean house to refresh the soul. I know the best cleaning service and I'd recommend Him to anyone. And He's FREE...you can't beat that!

3 comments:

Candy said...

Loved this & how well you describe the action verb, repent. 'Spring cleaning'...I need this often & find encouragement from your reminder that clutter is not in our best interest! Thanks :)

Carolynn said...

Thanks Candy! I now know I'm not alone out here in cyberspace:-)

Gail Hummel said...

Gathering the bags and boxes to get rid of stuff in my condo that has been accumulating. Also hauling burdensome and useless guilt to the foot of the cross. When I look back over the last few months, I see how God's hand has been in my situation all along and it is humbling. Thanks for the reminder, Caroline :)