Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Won't you be my neighbor?

The 3/29 verse of the day is Proverbs 3:29, "Do not plot harm against your neighbor, who lives trustfully near you." (NIV)

The sweater-clad kindly man, Mr. Rogers, comes to mind when I read this verse. He always seemed like such a wise man and he was always asking everyone to be his neighbor. I can hear him in my mind now, singing, "Won't you be my neighbor?"

The entire 3rd chapter of Proverbs is talking about the benefits of wisdom. God has always desired that we know how to live better lives here on earth. He made the roadmap for our journey; the very first GPS ever invented. I'd venture to say that technology will never surpass the direction and wisdom of God.

This verse reminds me of the last two of the ten commandments, concerning neighbors:
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
- You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

It's not difficult to see that the way we treat others is important to God. He wants us to be wise and he wants us to treat others with love, respect and kindness. Mr. Rogers was on to something when he sang, "Won't you be my neighbor?"

No comments: