Sunday, April 10, 2011

Alright by me

The 4/10 verse for today is from 1 Chronicles 4:10, "Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, 'Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.' And God granted his request." (NIV)


Many of us recognize this as the prayer of Jabez. A little over 10 years ago a book was written about this humble prayer. Bookstores couldn't stock their shelves fast enough with this book. People were desperate to find out how their prayers could be answered like Jabez' prayer was.

I wonder how many of us truly understood the heart of Jabez. Yes, he wanted the blessing of God; he cried out for it. I interpret this as a plea, not just a casual request. He also prayed that God would enlarge his territory. Whether this was for actual land or just for more people to influence, I will leave to theologians, but my simple understanding prompts me to believe that Jabez' motives are at the heart of this prayer. More importantly, I tend to believe that Jabez' motives were pure and that is why God answered his prayer. Jabez' heart was revealed in that he asked that God's hand be upon him; he wanted God to be with him. I don't imagine that is a request God often wants to refuse.

In continuation of the plea Jabez is making of God, he asks that God keep him from harm so he would be free of pain. Some people may view this as purely self-serving, but, to me, it's an honest request. I often pray it for myself and my family. Do I understand that sometimes there will be pain in life? Yes, I get that. But do I feel like God loves me enough to help me to walk with him in a manner that helps me be in step with his plan for my life and know that his protection is available for me and my loved ones? You bet!

Will God answer all of our prayers just like he did Jabez' prayer? No, that experience is unique to the Jabez. But I am grateful that my prayers are also unique to God and that he answers them in his good and perfect will. And that's better than alright by me.

2 comments:

Kim Almas (a.k.a. TwoBoysMom) said...

Perfect way to start my day (my week). Thanks for posting! :)

Carolynn said...

Thanks Kim!