Wednesday, April 6, 2011

No worries!

I love the Message version of the verse I've chosen for 4/6. The verse is Phil 4:6, "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."

There is nothing like clarity to give us a better perspective. While the Message translation, above, is quiet easy to understand, it is still difficult for us to put into practice. Just like the rebellious Israelites, we also have a track record of trying everything else, before we do that which God suggests that we do. This verse is telling us to pray, instead of worry. So, why do we continue to worry so much? May I suggest that it is because our focus is on our problems, and not on Jesus?

This translation helps me with that focus problem. It's like watching a metamorphosis occur in my spirit. I can visualize how heartfelt petitions (telling God what I need) and praises (thanking God for who is is and what he has already done) "shapes" my worries into prayers. It allows me to trade in the impossible for the possible. As I do this, God's peace settles over me, giving me the reassurance that he is in control. Lastly, I can see "The Light" at the end of the tunnel (Jesus, himself), which changes my perspective on things. Yes, this metamorphosis is a thing of real beauty. God gives my prayers flight and lightens my burdens.

I don't know about you, but there is simply not enough room for both worry and Jesus in the center of my life. One of them has to go, so I'm kissing my worries good-bye. How about you? Are you ready to trade your worry in for Jesus? Trust me, it's a great choice.

No comments: