Sunday, April 3, 2011

Picture of his love

The 4/3 verse of the day is from Lev 4:3, “If the high priest sins, bringing guilt upon the entire community, he must bring to the LORD a young bull with no physical defects.” (NLT)

You may be thinking this is a very odd verse for the verse of the day. What is its significance amidst all the other encouraging and meaningful verses that I could have chosen for today? I have to admit, I can understand how this may puzzle you, but please read on and I think you will better understand why I've shared this.

When I read this verse today, I knew God was showing me a picture of the sacrifice Jesus made for us and he impressed me to write about it. You see, the high priests were humans; humans like Adam and Eve, the very first humans God created, and humans like us. Adam and Eve sinned against God and, because of their disobedience and sin, guilt was ascribed to mankind from that point on. That includes today; this point in time. Because of their sin, we are born in sin. That is our very unfortunate ancestry gift from Adam and Eve. I can think of a much better inheritance from them, but, then so could God. That’s why he made a way for the only perfect sacrifice for us, just like the young bull in the verse above.

As Easter approaches this month, many of us are mindful that there was a sacrifice made for us; a sacrifice that makes atonement for our guilt and sin. The LORD gave his own son as that sacrifice. The verse above is a picture to me of God’s love and mercy in sacrificing his perfect and sinless son, Jesus, to pay a divine price for the sin represented by our entire community, humankind.

I’m thankful God included this verse, this story in the bible. He was giving us a picture of the ultimate sacrifice to come. Sometimes I just don’t get it, even though he gives hints, illustrations and truth throughout his word to represent how he's always had us on his mind. He cared enough to establish a way to redeem us and to show us through pictures like this in his word. Please give us the wisdom of your sight, Lord, so we can see this and other pictures of your love throughout your word.

No comments: