Friday, April 8, 2011

No sweat

The 4/8 verse of the day is 1 Tim 4:8, "Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next. (NLT)

This is such good news to me. I know I need to exercise, physically, but I never find it easy or convenient. Someone once told me if I made it a habit that I would get to where I liked it....they were wrong! I hate physical exercise. However, I am well aware that my health, well-being and state of mind are all enhanced by physical exercise. For that reason, I will drag myself to the gym and struggle to burn my 200 calories on the elliptical machine or treadmill. After all, that monthly membership should get some use. Thank God for warmer weather around the corner. At least I love the outdoors and sunshine and can go for walks, hikes, and bicyle rides. That might be the closest I come to getting jiggy with this exercise thing.

While my struggle with physical exercise may indicate a lack of commitment, it could also be attributed to the fact that I just have no desire to sweat...not my favorite thing to do. I know there is value to it and I am really trying to get serious about working out for my health. All of this effort is for this life, though. Yes, I do want to be as healthy and agile in this life as possible, but I know that physical exercise will only benefit me on this side of heaven. What is much more important to me, is that I couple my physical health with the peace of mind and power that comes from spiritual exercise.

If I don't work my body muscles, they become weak and my body starts to look and feel like it. Likewise, if I don't use my mind to learn more about God and how I can get to know him better and live a better life for him, myself and others, my spiritual muscles are not used. I become stagnant and don't have the power I need to live a life that is strong in the Lord. Worse, I don't have the heart I need to love others, to love them unconditionally, or to show compassion to those in need.

If I'm spiritually weak, I don't know how to flex my spiritual muscles for effective prayer or spiritual battle. For goodness sake, if I know that there is someone out there whose main objective is to kill, steal and destroy me, why wouldn't I want to get spiritually fit so I could fend him off? Investing my time to get my head and heart spiritually fit makes perfect sense to me, but I find that sometimes I also get a little lazy or become complacent in my spiritual workouts. I find myself too busy and don't take time to read my bible. I wake up late and forget to pray in the morning before going out of the house. I decide not to worship or listen to Christian radio in my car one day and switch to talk radio. These things lead to irritability and aggravation; chaos instead of peace. If only I had maintained my spiritual fitness!

Yes, both physical and spiritual exercise are important and essential for this life. But one of them trumps the other. You see, we won't need physical exercise in heaven...Thank you, Lord! He gives us the bonus plan by giving us glorified bodies. I can really dig that plan. But when we choose to join the club for spiritual workouts, we get more than just a lifetime membership. It comes with a promise of life for eternity...so glad I don't have to sweat it!

No comments: