Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Golden Ticket

The 4/17 verse of the day is 1 Thes 4:17, "Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever." (NLT)

No, this is not a line from a Star Trek movie, where we're waiting for Scottie to beam us up. But, I'm still trying to get my little mind around the full implications of this truth. Jesus is coming back for us friends! I believe that with my whole heart. He tells us it is so.

Today is Palm Sunday. It marks the last Sunday of Lent and the first day of the Holy Week in the Christian tradition. This is the day when Jesus rode triumphantly into Jerusalem where he was welcomed with open arms. It is also the basis for the Palm Sunday processions.

The accolades for Jesus on the original Palm Sunday didn't last long in Jerusalem. By the end of the week people had turned against him and he ended up being crucified. Of course, this was all a part of God's plan. He allowed it to fulfill scripture and give the only sacrifice sufficient to cover the sins of humankind...Jesus was our sacrifice.

Jesus did rise from death and came back to earth for a little while, but he then ascended back to heaven. Before he left, he promised that he would return again someday for all believers and that those who had already died in Christ and those believers who remained on earth, would be caught up in the clouds with him. It sure seems like that promise was a long time ago.

I sometimes grow impatient for his return. Natural disasters, wars and immorality have us all wondering if he's going to come for us in our lifetime. In my selfishness, I want him to return today, but I also know that not everyone is ready for his return. In his mercy, he is waiting for those that don't believe in him to do so. Believing Jesus died for our sins and putting our trust in him is like getting a free golden ticket that will take us on our journey to eternity.

I want to be caught up in the air with Jesus and remain with him forever. I've made reservations for my golden ticket and I'm looking forward to the flight. I heard there's a great deal going on and you can still get your golden ticket before it's too late. It's completely free...Jesus comped us all! So what are you waiting for, make the transaction and secure your reservation. It'll be the trip of a lifetime...for eternity.

No comments: