Friday, June 10, 2011

Best Dressed by Designer God

The verse for 6/10 is from Ephesians 6:10, "A final word, "Be strong in the Lord and His mighty power."  (NLT)

This verse is the beginning of one of the most valuable passages in scripture.  It doesn't stand alone.  And neither do we, thanks to the Lord and His mighty power.  He affords us His power to clothe ourselves for protection from a real enemy, the devil.  How kind of our God to give us spiritual direction on how we can withstand the attacks of Satan.  God tells us that we live in a spiritual world.  There are things going on around us that we do not see or hear.  It doesn't mean they aren't there.  Some of us don't believe that and we are battle-weary at the end of each day; we let the devil just wreak havoc in and with our lives.  Some of us do believe in angels and demons, and even the power of God, but we still let the devil have a heyday with our lives.  It's really sad to me that we can't utilize the power God has made available to us to help us be strong against these attacks.  Take heart and put on your armor, friends.  God has made it just for you.

I wouldn't dream of walking out of my house without putting on my clothes.  It would be a disaster for me and everyone I encountered.  The same is true for my spiritual clothing.  I am so thankful that God protects us and even gives us directions on how we can further protect ourselves.  We are naked without Him.  We are also naked without knowing how to strengthen ourselves for any spiritual attack that comes our way.  And, believe me, they are always coming our way.  I can envision them as being lined up like taxi cabs at an airport, just waiting to take us on a wild ride.  Our rides could be far less bumpy, and have a lot less detours, if we chose the right vehicle and the right driver. 

We don't have to run around spiritually naked and vulnerable to every attack that comes our way.  I love that God tells us how to stand firm.  I like reading this passage all the way through verse 18 and applying that wisdom to my life.  I feel like the best dressed girl in the world when I'm clothed in God's armor.  The Message version puts it this way, "Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."

Friends, that's powerful, it's real, and it is available to all of us.  Other versions of this passage give us visual articles of clothing, or armor, we can put on daily so we will not be unprotected, or naked, against the devil and spiritual attacks.  We'd be crazy not to wear our clothes!  The bible tells us to use every piece of it so we can still be standing firm when we go through the battles in our lives.  His Word is like a belt of truth.  If we don't know it and apply it, we could be caught with our pants down - no belt!  Don't be caught with your pants on the ground!  And be adorned with God's righteousness.  Knowing God and doing what He says comes with fringe benefits.  Righteousness is a gift that flows from the inside to the outside.  We can be clothed with it when we believe God and act in His ways. 

And in all battles, we need a shield to protect us from arrows that come our way.  Faith, is that shield.  It cannot adequately be described or seen.  It is, again, just believing that God is who He says He is and can do what He says He can do.  I'm okay with that; more than okay with that.  God has proven Himself faithful to me when all I've had was faith to get through.  I don't want to be guilty of laying down my shield.  I need it everywhere I go and with anything I do. 

The bible then goes on to instruct us to put on the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit.  These battle terms may seem archaic to some, but it was written from a battle perspective.  I am glad I can view it from a battle perspective.  Christ followers have accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.  That transaction, of giving our lives and will for His salvation and power in our lives, is monumental.  We don't often realize that the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is available for us.  His Word is our sword.  We are equipped for battle.  Sometimes, we just don't know it.  When we can rest in His assurance that He is with us and we can do all things through His strength, we are ready, friends.  God's word is like a double edged sword.  We have to know it to use it, though.  I think the enemy will often turn his tail and run at just the sight of a well yielded sword.  God's word is priceless and effective in our battles.  We need to wear it well.

Finally, prayer is essential to being well dressed and covered for battle.  Not only for ourselves, but for others.  We have to be in tune with God's Holy Spirit.  He lives in us and can direct our prayers for ourselves and others, making us ever alert to the plans of the enemy and how to defeat him.  I pray every morning to be covered by God's power and the blood of Jesus.  I am confident that I'm not going out naked.  Some days, I'm better dressed than others, but I know I need to suit up every day. 

I wish everyone could realize that we have a full wardrobe of the clothing of God.  It's beautiful and powerful and better than any designer clothing I've ever seen.  It was made by my Designer God and I wear it proudly and gratefully.  It makes me feel like the best dressed girl in the world.  Thank you, Designer God.

No comments: