Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Upside Down

The 6/21 verse is from Luke 6:21, "God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied.  God blesses you who weep now, for in due time you will laugh."  NLT

Why does it seem like Jesus taught from a different perspective?  He was always saying things like this.  His view seemed upside-down from the world's view.  Yet, His way is the right way.  Our way is the one that is upside-down.  Our knowledge, or lack thereof, is of an earthly nature.  Jesus has the wisdom and knowledge of His Father in heaven.  Do you think we will ever begin to figure this out?  I sure hope so.

I've taken this passage from the Message to help me illustrate Jesus' words.  Verses 17-21 read like this,
"Coming down off the mountain with them, he stood on a plain surrounded by disciples, and was soon joined by a huge congregation from all over Judea and Jerusalem, even from the seaside towns of Tyre and Sidon. They had come both to hear him and to be cured of their ailments. Those disturbed by evil spirits were healed. Everyone was trying to touch him—so much energy surging from him, so many people healed! Then he spoke:
'You're blessed when you've lost it all.
God's kingdom is there for the finding.
You're blessed when you're ravenously hungry.
Then you're ready for the Messianic meal.
You're blessed when the tears flow freely.
Joy comes with the morning.'"
 
Far be it from me to put a theological explanation to this.  I'm afraid I would fall far short.  My take?  I think Jesus is saying that when you get to where God is all you need...that's all you need.  Works for me!

No comments: