Monday, June 6, 2011

Don't be a Lazybones!

The 6/6 verse today is from Proverbs 6:6, "Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones. Learn from their ways and be wise! (NLT)

I don't like ants, even slightly. Those tiny little pests often come marching into my kitchen, and my life, at the onset of warm weather. I can literally picture them , sort of like a cartoon, lined up to march from their anthill to my kitchen floor or countertop to haul off any crumbs I have not been diligent in cleaning up. But, I'm not laughing! They are so annoyingly persistent on reaching every stray morsel and hauling it back to their storehouse for future feasting. They may not be very big, but their work ethic is absolutely HUGE!

This proverb warns against laziness and says we could learn a lot from these little guys. They don't even have anyone telling them what to do, yet they persist in the task at hand...securing their future. Without their summer sojourns, they would not have food and shelter for the winter. Call it commitment; call it necessity; call it whatever you will, but they know that no one is going to do it for them. If they don't carry their share of the crumbs, their future could be even crumb-ier! (Sorry:0)

All bad jokes aside, we have responsibilities in life. If we are lazy, the quality of our lives could fall to the wayside. If we do nothing but play in mild weather, severe weather could take us by surprise; we could end up unprepared and I'll-equipped. I guess that is why the bible tells us we can learn from even an ant. They don't decide to take the summer off, or the day off; they have a work ethic that somehow let's them know they must labor while they can. It's like it is inherent in them to know that a season of winter is coming and they must be ready. Even though I dislike ants, even I am impressed at that! Just for their gargantuan efforts, I may let a few of them survive this summer....but, then again, maybe not! I think I'll just be reminded to work a little harder to keep my kitchen clean.

No comments: