Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dancing in my underwear

The verse for 6/14 is from 2 Samuel 6:14, “And David danced before the Lord with all his might, wearing a priestly tunic.”  (NLT)

Originally, I had chosen a different verse for today and had written it yesterday so I could publish it first thing this morning. Yet, I felt like it wasn’t really what God wanted me to share with you. He drew me back to the verse above and impressed me to comment on praise; on worshipping Him.

Recently, my husband gave me one of the best compliments I have ever gotten. He told me I was a worshipper! This is someone who knows me; who sees me day in and day out; who sees me when the church, and the world, is not watching. It warmed my heart to be recognized for what I most wanted to do and be. But, I have to tell you, becoming a worshipper has been a process. Depending on what culture or church we grow up in, or have gotten accustomed to, we tend to adapt our worship to what is “acceptable” in that setting. Some people get very uptight about worship. I think we analyze it too much. That’s why I love what David did.

David was the king. When he finally felt like the Ark of the Lord could be safely brought back to the City of David, he did so with great celebration. The king abandoned any reservations of what people might think and danced to honor the LORD in what many people say was his underwear! Now, I think we need to stop a little short of exposing our underwear, but I'm all about giving the Lord all we have without caring about what others might say or think. David’s own wife was even filled with contempt for his expression of worship. When she communicated her disdain for David, he replied that he was dancing for joy before the Lord. I’m far from being qualified to explain the meaning of why this happened, but the bible goes on to say that she remained childless throughout her life. Maybe she should have tried dancing in her underwear more often instead of trying to control what her husband did. I’m just saying!!!

I like when King David said, “He appointed me as the leader of Israel, the people of the LORD. So I am willing to act like a fool in order to show my joy in the LORD. Yes, and I am willing to look even more foolish than this.” WOW! That encourages me to let the LORD direct my worship; not my society; not my culture; not even my church! In my process of falling in love with my LORD, I've learned that our worship of Him is personal.  For some of us, that is more expressive than others.  And that's okay with me.  As for me, I figure if I can cheer on my favorite sports team with "woohoos" and fists pumps, I can certainly express my gratitude, awe, and wonder to Him with as much, or more, excitement.  I'm not beyond dancing in celebration of who He is and what He has done...and I often do!  If others don't want to join in, that's okay too.  They're free to worship however they like; however the Lord leads them to do so.  My only observation would be that man should not dictate how one should worship.  That is between the individual and God. 

I have an audience of ONE. No matter who else is around, He is the one I adore. Don't judge me...I’m dancing in my underwear….on the inside!

1 comment:

prom dresses cheap said...

It's amazing to think how far mens underwear has come in the past decade. The innovation in styles, colours and materials has brought men into the twenty first century. But the public perception of acceptable apparel is probably the biggest herald of the modern male underwear drawer.