Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wedding Blessing

The 6/25 verse is from Numbers 6:25, "May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you."  NLT

This is the second part of a blessing God gave Moses to give to Aaron, specifically for His people.  It makes me think of a proud parent who wants to give good gifts to his children because he is pleased with them, or just because he is head over heels in love with them.  We love our children, but God's love for us is all that, and more.  We can't even touch the love He has for us.  I think it is on a totally different dimension than our human minds know how to comprehend.  But I want to.

I think about my own child.  She's getting married this week and I could not be more happy for her.  My heart and my mouth are smiling on her and her fiance.  If I could give them the world, I would.  That's how much I love them.  Yet, God loves them even more.  My prayer, for a very long time, has been that God will give them hearts that love Him above all else.  To me, that's the greatest gift they could ever have.  That gift will open the storehouse to life and love, peace and protection, grace and goodness, and a multitude of other blessings.  That gift will open up their hearts and eyes to the wonder of who God is and who He wants them to be. 

I can't think of anything that would more valuable for our kids than having a heart for God and honoring Him with their entire life.  To me, that's the ultimate gift.  I wish I could wrap it up with a big bow and give it to them as a wedding gift.  I think I'd be taking credit for a gift that isn't mine to give, though.  It's God's gift and I believe He wants to give it to them freely.  May God smile on them and be gracious to them as they become husband and wife.  Please bless them Lord!

No comments: